Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My "Ah-Ha's": Installment 2

Once again . . . It's been a while. I had good intentions of continuing my Ah-Ha's on a decent continuum, but things happen and they weren't necessarily other Ah-Ha's.



Over the last 7 weeks, the administrators in our district have been reading the book Lead Like Jesus. I posted it on my bookshelf before I had read much, I carried it around a couple of weeks before beginning to read, and once I began it, I didn't want my staff to know the title even though I referenced several points during conversation and meetings. You see, I didn't want to be the person who sticks a fish on their car or that great ole' bumper sticker (God is my co-pilot) and then cuts someone off in traffic, gives an irritated look as I pass by, or, well, you know what I mean. First, I want God to be my pilot. Second, I was worried that if they knew that I was reading such a book that I would be expected to act in the manner of leading like Jesus. Well, Ah-Ha, I am expected to lead like Him b/c I am His.

As I read this book, I realized that if I am going to be a child of God, then I am called to His service and therefore the service of others. I don't have a choice. During the weeks in which the administrators discussed this book, much of the discussion was geared towards specific areas of our job. But the "loud thoughts from God" kept comin'. Our preacher spoke one week (Oct. 5)on servants and service. I was running the slides in the booth and because he had planned many activities plus some videos, I had to listen carefully (wow, did God have a plan for me that day). Phil pointed out that "leaders are to humbly serve." Colossians 1:7, 23, 25; 4:7, 17. In Lead Like Jesus, the general concept (actually, the model set by our Savior) was, you guessed it, "lead humbly."


The "loud thoughts" just continue. As a sponsor of a social club at Abilene Christian University, the girls have been hounding me to set-up a FaceBook account. One night, during club, one of the girls took my laptop and set me up. I have to confess, I'm hooked. I very quickly added some of the cute little applications -- Graffiti, Flair, and Daily Bible Verse. It happened that one of my first verses was 1 John 3:6, "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." Service to others is the action of loving (and leading) like Jesus.


Two days later, the verse of the day was, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." Luke 12:48. Within the leadership role of principal, I have been trusted with much -- the education of the children, the support of my teachers, and more. If I trust that God has entrusted me with this role, then I must trust that He will qualify me even in times that I mess things up. It's going to take prayer, trust, and accountability to help me lead like Jesus. In your prayers today, please lift me up that I will lead and love like Him . . . it matters greatly to this principal

4 comments:

GPaty said...

I will ask God to bless you in this way...
I left a note on Trina's blog for it being October 15th. Give yourself and her a hug for me.....
I love you to pieces,
g

P.S. We bought a house. We need to talk. Call us.

Sarah Megan said...

good thing some amazing girl set you up on facebook so you can get those bible verses.


...geez, who WAS that girl?!?!

Trina said...

I have a hard time with that word humbly sometimes. Glad you are where you are. You do such a good job!

carrhop said...

I'm cracking up--not at your sweet post, but because I'm thinking you may be J.Kahla's Traci and that I've found you through one of my blog buddies--your cousin Brandi--hmmmmm--that would be funny!
Blessings!