As an administrator, you truly never get a true time away from the job even if you are on a 207-day contract or 217. While many of my "weeks off" were interrupted with calls from highers that be, my official time began 2 weeks ago (thus the reason for no blogging activity). Now, as officially on the clock, I can say that I am glad to be back. I'm glad to have a routine; glad to be focused, glad to be exercising my calves by wearing heels other that flip-flops; and, most of all, glad to have an opportunity to start a fresh school year with new choices and opportunities.
Most educators realize that they never stop learning as long as they are teaching -- teaching that involves knowing, studying, listening, and "coaching." Last year I had the opportunity supervise a lead teacher who was also an aspiring administrator. While I tried to coach and teach, she in turn taught me. I learned because I wanted her to know what a good leader should be. In the course of it all, I assessed my own leadership and determined, that for me, it wasn't what I want it to me. One of the books that she had to read for one of her graduate courses was Lead Like Jesus by Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges (check out my Bookshelf). I bought it just based on the title; for that is what I pray to do this year. I owe that to my staff but more to my God.
In my sister's blog today, she speaks about the serman at church this morning -- Into Your Hands. You can read her's to get the jist or go listen to the mp3 on the web. I must choose how much of my week I am willing to give to God. Wow! In Lead Like Jesus, a leader must desire to be like Jesus even through the roughest of times. The author suggests that we must first know Jesus and develop habits of solitude with God, prayer, with God, and of studying the work of God -- hearing, reading, studying, memorizing, and meditating on the Word. My reaction? . . . "Where doI find the time?!" As I continue to read, I have had to come to the realization that I have allowed myself to lose sight of Whose I am and my purpose in life. Am I a giver or a grabber? I've always considered myself more of a giver . . . but why do I feel the need for renewal? I need to become the giver, the servant for those that I lead. That is my prayer for the last 2 weeks and continues to be daily because for this principal, it's more than principle, it's what I am called to do because I am a child of His.
1 comment:
Funny that I read this after my post today. You are a leader..you are a giver...We just forget that we need renewal often.
Post a Comment